There are six Ultimate Member roles defined for members:
- Member – UM default, not used
- Admin – Ultimate Member adminstrators
- Aspiring – Aspiring Professional
- Legacy Professional – currently the same as Professional
- Expired – expired membership, but can be renewed
The benefits of the Professional and Aspiring members are listed on the Join page. Roles are assigned when a new member is added, but can be changed later.
All members are listed by category on the private Members page: https://www.nsanewengland.com/members/.
On the left WordPress sidebar, click Users, Add New.
Fill in the Add New User form:
Username is typically first initial and last name – but can be anything as long as it’s unique among members. Email must be unique. The new user can log in with either the username or email address. First and Last names should be included, web site is optional.
Click Show Password – WordPress offers and complex password, probably too complex for most users. The current convention is to use lastname1, but the user should be encouraged to change their password to something more secure: easy to remember, hard to guess. You will probably need to check “Confirm use of weak password”.
Normally keep “Send the new user and email” checked. This will send them a one-time link for their first login, with their username.
Set the new user’s role in both pull-downs, Role and Ultimate Member Role, and they should match. You can user “Other roles” for a user with two roles, such as Professional and Administrator.
Click Add New User.
Adding an event includes three tasks:
- Create the event on Eventbrite
- Create a new Event post for the web site
- Edit the Text widget in the Home Widget Center widget area
Technically, and Event is a special type of blog post, and the blog is shown on the Events page. An Event post is just like a post, and can include formatted text, images, audio recordings and YouTube videos. It is created and edited just like any other WordPress post.
To create the new Event post, click Events and Add New in the WordPress dashboard (left sidebar), after logging in as an Admin. Be sure to include a “register” button linking to the EventBrite page.
An excerpt of the Event post is shown in the list of events on the Events page. You can control what is shown by inserting “read more” tag into the Event page:
You can re-arrange the order of posts on the Events page by clicking Events and All Events and dragging the listings around.
The home page Event teaser is in a Text widget in the Home Widget Center widget area. To change it, click Appearance and Widgets, open the Text widget in the Home Widget Center area and edit it, with a link to the Event post and/or the Eventbrite page. If desired, you can add as many widgets in the Home Widget Center area as you want – for example if you wanted to show two events.
The NSA NE recordings are listed in an Audio Playlist on the page “NSA New England Recordings“.
Recordings must be in mp3, ogg or wav formats, but mp3 is the most common. If you have a recording in a different format, you will need to use an audio editing program such as Audacity to convert the file. The size of the files is roughly 50-60MB per hour. Store the recording file on your computer in a folder you can easily find for uploading.
The playlist can be edited and added to, and the recordings can be re-arranged.
- Log in as an administrator and open the page for editing. You should see the playlist.
- Click the playlist and the pencil icon on top. The media library should open to Edit Audio Playlist
- On the left, click Add to Audio Playlist. This should open Add to Audio Playlist, with the usual window for adding media.
- Upload the new recording by either dragging it to the window or clicking Select Files and browsing to where you stored the audio recording file, and select it for uploading.
- When the file has uploaded, click Add to audio playlist, in the lower-right corner. You should return to the playlist window.
- You can click on the new audio file and edit the Title, Artist and Description.
- While you are in the playlist, you can re-arrange the recordings, or remove any you don’t want anymore.
- When you are finished editing the playlist, click Update audio playlist, in the lower-right corner. You should return to the Recordings page, and see the new recording in the playlist.
- Click Update to update the page, then view it and try playing the new recording.
The NSA NE custom theme includes an HTML class called “button” which renders as a red frame with white lettering. It provides a standard format for calls-to-action.
To convert a link to a button while editing a post or page, click the Text tab to expose the HTML and find the link. Immediately after the <a tag, add “class=”button”. The link will appear as normal in the editor, but should show as a button when you view it normally.